Sunday, January 29, 2006


Thinking about writing seems to have served me well this week..

I managed to write about 14 pages today! So I'm getting close to a finished draft. There's just a couple of problems. I'm questioning some of the placement of some of the scenes and I'm not sure that I've varied my locations enough. All are solvable problems, but there are times when I feel it getting bland because of that..

On the positive side, I've come up with some plot devices that I think are working pretty well, and I'm building up to what I think is a good ending.

However... That said, so few people have seen the script, Its not clear to me if it's really any good.. This is where the writers doubt starts to creep in from behind. There are moments when I think about how it will look and play out on screen and go "damn that's cool".. But it's still just a first draft, and my guess is that it'll need lots of tweaking and a couple more drafts before its anything close to being perfect. I feel right now as though I'm still in the process of fleshing out the story. Once its complete, I'll find all the fat, have a chance to think about my characters, plot devices, pacing, all that and really rework it where it needs it. I'm just on a mad rush to "FADE OUT" because I can see the rest of the story playing out in my head - even though some of the particulars are still a little on the hazy side.

I'm anxious to get the draft completed so that I can send it out for coverage as well. I won't do that until I've had James give me his notes.

I managed to find time to watch the DVX DVD that accompanied the DVX 100 book. Even though I know its replacement has already hit the street (the HVX 200) I'm still impressed by how much you can do with the DVX 100A/B cameras. Some of the examples they had on the dvd were pretty impressive. The thing that I really like about it is that the explanations are very clear and have really helped expand my understanding of digital cinematography. The explanations of the different settings relating to things like color temperature, depth of field, chroma level settings and gamma were all very educational and applicable to more than just the DVX cameras; and (once again) I highly recommend it for any aspiring digital DP.

So it looks as though I'll miss my first major deadline; getting the script done by the end of January. However, I think I may only be late by a week. I feel like I'll have time to write this week, but not enough to finish by Tuesday.

No comments: