Sunday, January 15, 2006


Editing..

I did some more editing on my new reality concept reel last night. What I need to do now is let it sit for a day or so to see if I still like what I did. I think that I like the way the segments are coming together and most of it flows nicely together. A couple of the new segments sort of feel out of place, but I like what's in them. I just have to either work on some sort of bridge to get to them in the piece, or lose them altogether.. We'll see.

I'm working on Heist today, I'm hoping to get 5 or more pages done.

I was watching AMC's Sunday Morning Shootout this morning. They had Matt Dillon and writer/director Paul Haggis from the movie Crash which is up for a Golden Globe. It was interesting because Crash was made with a pretty low budget by Hollywood standards (around 6 million) and was shut down a number of times due to lack of funding. I was struck by this because Paul Haggis is working with the likes of Clint Eastwood and Steven Spielberg on various projects - very much a player.

Paul was talking about how they had to get creative due to their financial constraints. He talked about how they used the same bedroom for two different locations in the film. They shot it in one direction for a bedroom scene for the Matt Dillion character, then painted the opposite walls red, dressed it differently, then used it for a different character's bedroom scene. So there was a fair bit of discussion on how the pressure to work with a small budget brings a creative energy to the shoot. I found it helpful. Its a pretty good show, and I try to catch it every Sunday.

No comments: