Wednesday, March 08, 2006


Damn, have I been bad at maintaining this blog....

Time has been at a bit of a premium. We were on vacation last week for a couple of days, and I've been writing like crazy.

I finished another draft of Heist and I've been working on completing another script called "Rescuing Champ". More details on that later.

I was trying to explain writing screenplays to someone last week. The analogy that I typically use is that it's like a jigsaw puzzle, where you have all these pieces and you have to try to make sure that they fit together tightly. Sometimes the pieces don't fit, and you have to flip them around and try them in different places.

When I was into music producing a few years ago, I bumped into a fairly big name producer at a studio in Boston. He explained music production as almost like painting with sound - you build up layers of sound and each sound provides its own "color" to the tune. The trick is to balance the colors as you would in a painting so that its pleasing and so that each sound has its own place and purpose in the mix. Writing is similar. Each of the characters, story elements etc. is like a color, and like music or paintings, the trick is to find the balance of all the elements.

I think that this draft is very tight, has great balance, good arcs and resolution. There are things that can still be tuned, for sure, but I feel the best about this draft in terms of the story and the flow. I'm going to WGA register it now, and get it reviewed for grammar and basic structural problems then send it out for its first coverage report.

More to come.

No comments: