Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Back from my break

2008 is off to a bit of a slow start for me. I'm pretty behind on blogging, I'm going to try and get better.

My partner in NY and I have had a number of people on the hook for one of my reality pilots (Star Coaches) but nothing has materialized. With the show being pitched at the NATPE conference in Vegas on the 28th, I feel pretty good about the prospects. I'm pretty much convinced that 08 is the make or break year for the reality stuff. The principals are still very interested in participating both with Coaches and the Big Idea Hunt, but the material I have is becoming dated, and we need to move it along. Fingers and toes are crossed, I think the timing is good (with regard to the WGA strike), now all we need is a little luck.

I attended Imagine Magazine's holiday party earlier this month and had the pleasure of meeting C. Palmer Stinson of Timefissure Animation Studios. Palmer took interest in a spec script that I'd written for an animated feature called "Rescuing Champ". I've developed a couple of character concepts to build some shorts around which will give us the chance to test our collaboration on such projects. I'm really looking forward to it. I've already handed in two concepts and one script that he and his team are pretty excited about.

The train continues forward on LOD. We've had a couple of meetings on it, and have a seasoned local NH producer that's expressed interest in acting at least in an advisory capacity for LOD. He seems fairly impressed with the work that James and I did on Alibi, and he said that he liked the Galaxy Girl music video that I did last year... Sounds odd to say it, but yes, that video was shot nearly a year ago... Damn. Anyway, once this guy has read the script, I'll post more about him. For now, he's pledged small role in behind the scenes advisory support that is very important to us, but I don't want to say too much until I can really gauge how interested he is in the project.

Another reality concept that I cut the development teaser reel for and wrote the "one sheet" treatment for has gone to a fully funded pilot which is pretty exciting. I think there's an excellent chance of it getting picked up by a network. It's been getting quite a lot of local media coverage in the Atlanta area, and is currently being cast.

In the last month or so, I've manged to get out to a fair number of films, including; "Charlie Wilson's War (fun/great) ", "Before The Devil Knows You're Dead (excellent)", "Lars and the Real Girl (fun/great)" and "Into the Wild (excellent)". I also went to see Sweeney Todd (eh), and while Depp and Burton always manage to deliver something interesting (which this was) and fun (which this was if you're Hannibal Lecter), this one was just a bit too... odd for me (funny how it works out that "odd" is actually in the title :-) ). Next on my list are; "Atonement", "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly", "No Country For Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood".




No comments: